Forum » Off-Topic » Off-Topic Discussions » How often should I oil my scalp with braiding extensions?

How often should I oil my scalp with braiding extensions?

• Braiding extensions do require that one oils the scalp to help keep hair healthy and prevent dryness as well as itching. This can vary with hair type, scalp condition, and also different products used but generally, you should oil your scalp every 2-3 days.

Braiding hair extensions can be quite drying on the scalp due to their tucked-in condition, which does not permit the natural oils your scalp produces to reach the scalp. Dipping the braided strands of hair into oil regularly nourishes the scalp, keeps it well-moisturized and promotes good healthy hair growth.

If one's scalp is naturally oily, then she may have to reduce the frequency of oiling to avoid buildup. If on the other hand, the scalp is dry, or the climate is extreme, then oiling daily becomes essential. Listen to your scalp-it should itch or feel dry; it's time to apply oil.

Apply only a small amount of oil and apply to the scalp rather than the braids. Use gentle circular rubbing with fingertips on the scalp. This will help increase blood flow to the scalp, thus encouraging healthy growth.

Briefly oiling should be a standard activity every 2-3 days; however, it could go on more frequently based on the demand of your scalp. If taken care of with the right scalp care, braids will appear fresh, free of irritation, and maintain general hair and scalp health.
      September 24, 2024 3:49 AM MDT